Thursday 21 June 2012

Dropping the Y?


I went to bed last night pondering the rumoured name change for the French fashion house we know as Yves Saint Laurent. Like most, my initial instinct was to recoil in horror. It's interlinking letters have become one of the most iconic in the industry. Why fix something that isn't broken?
(I had enough trouble when Heinz Baked Beans changed the graphics on their tins.) 

You'd think that working/playing in an environment such as the fashion industry, we'd be used to change. Trends change like the weather.. Creative Directors follow suit. 

Saint Laurent Paris 'SLP' doesn't seem to have the same ring to it. Sounds less fashion.. more engineering company (or 'Service Location Protocol' if you ask Wikipedia). 



That said, I can't really blame Hedi Slimane for wanting to place his own stamp on the company, as reported, he wants to inject the brand with a more fresh, modern feel. 

I can't help but worry that the roots of the company will become unearthed. I truly hope that the DNA of the brand, and promise of Valerie Hermann (former YSL CEO) is held dear. 


What are your thoughts on this?

Lucy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment